Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Photo from Goodreads.com

Summary from Goodreads

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was the surprise best seller of 2011—an unprecedented mix of YA fantasy and vintage photography that enthralled readers and critics alike. Publishers Weekly called it “an enjoyable, eccentric read, distinguished by well-developed characters, a believable Welsh setting, and some very creepy monsters.”
This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.
Complete with dozens of newly discovered (and thoroughly mesmerizing) vintage photographs, this new adventure will delight readers of all ages.

My Thoughts:

Rated 5 Stars.

Riggs had me hooked with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children that I just had to read the second book.  I enjoyed this one even more than the first of the series and was really in shock with the ending.  I am now waiting for the third one to come in at the library to read it.  Riggs really puts his all in his writing and I am still amazed with how he works the pictures into the story.  That was such an interesting idea to begin with and it gets better as the book goes along.  The pictures help us get a picture of what the Peculiars actually look like.  I found it refreshing that we meet other Peculiars throughout the book, besides the ones we became attached with in the first book.  Now I can't wait to read the third one of the series!!

I really felt for Jacob in this book as I did in the first one.  Still not over his grandfather's death, he knows he must stay with his new friends and help save them and Miss Peregrine.  Riggs brings depth to Jacob as well as all the characters in the book, but I really could sense his agony in deciding to go home or stay with the Pecuilars and help rescue them.  Though you could guess what his decision was going to be eventually, Riggs had Jacob question himself time and time again, showing how difficult this decision was for him.

Meeting Sam (Another Peculiar) and her sister Esme was very interesting.  It was great to see them interact with another Peculiar, even though she didn't know that's what she was.  I wish there were more that they met along the way because it brought more life to the story.

My jaw dropped open with the ending.  Though there was some suspicion while reading the book, I never saw that ending coming.  Great way to have the readers wanting more in the next part of the series.

I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoyed the first of the series as well as anyone you enjoys paranormal books or wants to see vintage pictures of some out there people animals, and things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Awakened by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth