It's Easy To Get Lost in the Stardust























Summary from Goodreads

Catch a fallen star...
Tristan Thorn promised to bring back a fallen star. So he sets out on a journey to fulfill the request of his beloved, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester - and stumbles into the enchanted realm that lies beyond the wall of his English country town. Rich with adventure and magic, Stardust is one of master storyteller Neil Gaiman's most beloved tales, and the inspiration for the hit movie.

My Thoughts:

 I had no idea this book was a movie until I was halfway through reading it.  Having said that, I have to see the movie now (and not only because Ben Barnes is in it), but because I hope that the movie is better than the book. Gaiman's writing in this book had be hooked at the beginning and I was really looking forward to where it was heading and then just like that, the book lost me.  I began to lose interest and found myself skimming through some of the chapters.  Too much going on with too many characters showing up out of nowhere, it was easy to lose yourself and wonder just what was going on in the book.

Reading that this was a dark fairytale, much like Gaiman's other works (though this was the first book I read by him), I was really hoping for something dark, which are books I like to read.  What did I get instead?  A girl who is snobby, hurtful, and pretty much stuck up getting a lovesick boy to go on a dangerous trip to do the impossible.  If Gaiman's idea was to get the reader to despise Victoria, he succeeded. I couldn't not stand her from the moment she was introduced.  And what's with Tristan?  Could he not see she was using him?  Yes, I get it there wouldn't be much to the book if he didn't go on the journey, but still.  Tristan was an idiot for giving into her so easily and for actually believing she would really love him if he caught the star.  What was so special about Victoria that Tristan wanted her and only her?

Yvaine was my favorite character in this book.  Gaiman brought warmth to the story with her and she put up with Tristan's foolishness when he captured her.  She was strong, though injured, and for most of her capture, she made it a point to be angry with Tristan for holding her prisoner just so he could bring her to Victoria.  The progression of her and Tristan's relationship was written well, though not a surprise what became of them.  I found myself wondering, did Tristan ever feel bad for holding her captive?  At times you could sense the confusion going on in Tristan's mind if this was worth it in the end just to get a kiss or marry Victoria in the end.  Is love really worth it if it means holding someone as a slave?

I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Gaiman's work and knows what to expect.  Also, if you're into fantasy and the race to find an item for your true love, then this is the book for you.  But, if you believe what others say about this being a dark fairytale, I'm sure there are others out there that are much darker than what this was.

I rated this book 3 our of 5 stars because I did have hope for it at the beginning.  But then once Tristan was brought into the story as a teenage, it went downhill and I couldn't wait to finish this book.

Closing:

I hope you enjoyed reading this review and look forward to any comments you may have, especially if you've already read this book.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Awakened by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth