The Cross and the Dragon by Kim Rendfeld


In The Cross and the Dragon by Kim Rendfeld, Alda is caught in the middle of a difficult decision.  Her brother is in talks with having her marry Ganelon, who is rough and shows abuse towards Alda and they aren't even married yet.  At the same time, Alda is attracted to Hruodland and the feeling is mutual.  The two plan to marry, no matter what happens.  After much convincing, Alda finally gets her brother to agree that she could marry Hruodland.  Soon into their marriage, Hruodland is sent away to fight in the army as they invade Hispania.  This troubles Alda as she worries if she'll ever see her husband again once he leaves.  With Ganelon still wanting revenge for Alda choosing Hruodland over him, will she ever be safe from his harm?  Will Alda and Hruodland live the life of a couple so in love with each other?  Will war break them up?  

My Review:
Normally, I love books that are written about this time period.  And when I saw this book, I knew it was one that I had to read.  I was looking forward to reading this book when I received it, but I found it a struggle to get through for a few reasons.  First of all, the names.  I know that they are from a period different than our's and I understand that.  But with the names being hard to read and pronounce, I found it difficult while reading along the story.  I would always find myself stopping and trying to read the name as it would sound.  For that, I would end up reading the same sentence a few times before I could grasp what was going on and by who was in the scene.

The pacing of the story I found too fast.  One time I would be reading about an event happening, or the characters were sitting and talking about the wars, and then next it would be a different time, or a few years have past.  Example, Hrudoland and Alda's wedding happened and then the next scene was them married for a few years.  I would've liked to have seen more about their married life and not so many years skipped over, as if those lost years meant nothing.  It felt too rushed for me, the story in general.

I couldn't stand how Alda was when she joined the convent.  She was being abused and punished while there and yet, she wouldn't leave.  I was screaming in my head while reading the book, 'What is wrong with you?  There is no reason for you to be there!'  That part of the book was hard for me to get through because of the abuse and she just took it, seeing nothing wrong in it.

I wish there was a part I could pick as a favorite in this book, but I just couldn't.  I was hoping for it to be more, but unfortunately it fell short of what I was expecting from it.  There wasn't a character that stood out to me nor did I like any of them.  Their personalities bothered me and that too made it hard to read the book.  If you like this time period and are a fan of historical fiction, then give this book a try.

*I received this book as a prize in a giveaway on Goodreads in return for a honest review.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Awakened by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth