The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare


Don't worry about being out after 11 at night in The 11:05 Murders, a suspense novel by  that will have you guessing who it is that is the murderer up until the very end of the book.

Three different murders happen on Tuesday nights around the time 11:05 and the cops are hot on the trail to find out who is committing the crimes.  Clues lead the police to various suspects and soon they consider that these murders may be connected to a rape that happened 12 years ago in a college that resulted in the victim later committing suicide.  With a mysterious call giving Sergeant Stewart hints as to who the murderer is, the cops are sent on a wild goose chase with other cases coming in to find out who is the murderer of the 11:05 murders.

The Cover:

Before reading the book: It is a very eerie cover.  The clock that is seen in the background gives you the feeling that 11:05 is the key time in everything.  Then man in the picture, standing among the trees possibly being the killer and staying in the shadows so he won't get caught.

After reading the book: Still unclear to me about who the man is in the picture.  Is it the killer?  One of the men involved in the beginning of the book?  Or the young cop?  I see the trees and wooded area to have nothing to do with the story whatsoever.  And the clock, I get that it goes with the title, but yet it never seem to have an importance to me in the book.

Review:

What I Liked:
The book grabbed me in immediately at the beginning.  It was full of action and suspense and it kept me wanting more.  I thought it set a good pace for how the book was going to be, unfortunately, I was wrong.  This was the only part of the book I did like.  After that, it went downhill.

What I Didn't Like:
The two main cops, Stewart and Sheehan with their names being so similar.  Quite a few times I had to go back and see who it was I was reading about because the names were too close.  I think O'Hare should've made different names for each of them, seeing as how they were important characters.  It would've made it easier to read along.  O'Hare didn't have much action going on until halfway through the book, which is when I really felt we were getting somewhere with the murders.  And yet, I was left confused as to how it was known as the 11:05 murders.  I didn't even see times mentioned until I got towards the end of the book.  I felt that O'Hare put too much emphasis on the police and their work, using terms with how they dealt with the murders instead of getting into the action.  While the prologue left me wanting to dive immediately into the book, the rest of the novel had me not waiting to finish it.  There was nothing that stood out to me.  The romance tone between Stewart and Allen really got on my nerves.  I was expecting a thriller, a novel full of suspense.  Allen was getting on my nerves the way he kept pining over Stewart, even though at the beginning she made it clear she wanted nothing romantic.  And yet, she did want a romance with him.  This wasn't anything that I was expecting when I read the summary and I wish O'Hare kept more to the murders than focusing all on the cops and police work.  

I rated this book 2 out of 5 stars.  It just wasn't the type of suspense novel I was looking for.  I couldn't wait for the murderer to be found so that the book work end.  And for a book that was 300+ pages, I think O'Hare could've made it shorter and take out much of the police terms to make it a better read.  If you like a book that focuses mostly on how cops solve crimes, then I would recommend this book for you.

Here is a bookshelves link to this book: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=98862.  This was an OnlineBookClub.org Book of the day/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Awakened by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth