Nothing But Emptiness in The Empty by Thom Reese

Title: The Empty
Author: 
Publication Date: May 8, 2014
Rating: 1/5 Stars 

The life of being a reyaqc, where you don't have your own characteristics and must rely on feeding off of humans or any other living being in order for you to become whole.  They're all around us.  They could be anyone, even your closest friend and you may never know.  While some have no problem letting the outside know what they really are, some will live in secret, friending you and trying to be as human-like as possible.  Donald Baker is the most famous reyaqc of the time.  For centuries, he lived without anyone knowing what he really was, but as times changed, so did his ability to keep his identity a secret.  All he's ever wanted to do was bring reyaqcs public, showing that they could live in in society, but it's not easy.  Everything is planned perfectly according to Donald, until a rogue reyawc begins to go on a killing spree in Las Vegas.  Will Donald get to Vegas in time to stop the killings?  Will the the identities of the reyaqc come to light with humans?

The Empty was a struggle to get through.  There were far too many characters and stories just thrown in there that I feel were just added to take up space.  Most of the time I found myself skimming through it, wanting nothing more than to get to the end.  The only thing that kept me reading was the fact that I won this copy and wanted to be able to review it properly.  But I can't even think of anyone I would recommend it to.  This was an extended version and it makes me wonder, why?  Why was there an extended version to begin with?  I'm beginning to wonder why it wasn't kept shortened to begin with.  

There were no characters that stuck out to me, not even Donald.  For someone who was a main character, there should've been some quality I could remember about him, but I easily forgot about this book when I finished reading it.

And the plot.  I don't even know what this is all about.  The summary seemed like it was going to be interesting, but it was anything but.  Wish I could have more to say about this book, but I don't.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Awakened by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth