Dead Spider (A Loon Lake Mystery #17) by Victoria Houston


The spiders won't let you get away in Dead Spider, a mystery novel written by Victoria Houston where we return to Loon Lake and the mysteries that surround the residents.

Summary:

It's a happy day in June during the Youth Fishing Tournament on Loon Lake and everyone in the town is here for the annual event.  Everyone is enjoying themselves that none hear a gunshot go off on the grounds.  As the night goes on and people begin to leave, it is discovered that the richest man in the state has been shot by a single bullet to the head and is now dead.  Among this news, Doc's oldest granddaughter is caught in the middle of a drug ring and the seniors at a local center are robbed.  Are all of these  events connected to bring sadness to Loon Lake?

Review:

This was the first book I read in the series and I wasn't familiar with the tone or of Houston's writing.  I had high expectations from when I started the book and Houston didn't disappoint.

As soon as you start this book, the murder happens.  Houston knew how to get the reader's attention straight from the beginning.  I know it got mine.  I couldn't wait to finish this book to see who the murderer was, thinking the whole time it would be someone I suspected from that moment.  Houston threw in enough characters to keep us guessing who could be the murderer and still managed to surprise us in the end.

I felt that Beth's part in this book could've been so much more.  It was rushed and her story was finished well before the book was.  I would've loved to see more of her story and her have a bigger part.  What happened to her wasn't even fascinating and I didn't think it was needed.  To me, it felt that Houston added it just to take up space.  I didn't see any point in it happening other taking up pages in the novel.

Also, I wish there was more of a story to go with the murderer.  Each mystery book I've read, you've known a little more about them which made you guess they could be a possible suspect.  Houston didn't do that here and it bothered me that the character wasn't even mentioned until towards the end.  I never would've guessed this person as the murderer because I didn't even know she existed until well late in the novel.

I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because it was a quick read and I did enjoy the story.  I just wish Houston had more going on with Beth's story.  I do think that would've added a lot more to the story.  I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good mystery and wants a book that is a fast read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Keep Hold of the Fifth Petal in Your Hand